Different Initial Conditions in Subdomains for OGS-Phreeqc

Dear all,

Maybe this has been posted here, but I’ve only found a similar topic for ogs-5 but not ogs-6:

I am using the ComponentTransportProcess coupled with Phreeqc with a domain comprised of several different materials. Each material has, of course, a different ID to define corresponding properties in OGS.

What I haven’t been able to find out in the documentation is:

How to define different initial conditions for each process variable in each material? So far I can only define the same ICs for the whole domain, which is not correct, as each material has a different porewater concentration at t = 0.

Thanks,
Jaime

1 Like

Dear Jaime,

I know I’m late. But maybe it still helps.

You could do this in the prj file with e.g.

<parameter>
        <name>c0</name>
        <type>MeshNode</type>
        <field_name>initial_conc</field_name>
</parameter>

And the “initial_conc” is the Result Array Name of the Calculator filter which you could add onto your bulk mesh in Paraview. You could use an expression for the initial condition like this:

(conditional1)*expression1 + (conditional2)*expression2 ...

The conditonals can consist point coordinates (in the drag menu Scalars), for example. Then simply replace the original bulk mesh with the new calculator by Save Data.

Best,
Boyan

1 Like

Dear Boyan,

Thanks a lot! I think it’s still helpful for someone interested. Actually, a big thanks also to @renchao.lu for suggesting a similar solution.

I ended up using the following script to avoid the ParaView calculator:

create_ics.zip (3.9 KB)

After assigning the initial concentrations to the corresponding material ID cells, I use CellDataToPointData in Paraview.

Thanks again,
Jaime

1 Like