BTES with Temperature Zone Rings

Hello, I’m very new to OpenGeoSys and know practically nothing so forgive me for anything inaccurate I say.

Is possible to model 3D heat transfer in the ground and at the surface with OpenGeoSys for a borehole thermal energy storage where the working fluid first goes into boreholes near the centre and then progressively goes to boreholes further and further towards the edge of the bore-field in series such that higher temperatures are stored at the centre of the borefield. Flow would be reversed while discharging to achieve higher supply temperatures.

Would this be something relatively straightforward and within OpenGeoSys typical use cases or would this require some more advanced knowledge of how to model with OpenGeoSys.

I’m not an experienced programmer, just a working engineer that wants to try out some design ideas for ground heat exchangers and for thermal energy storage at high and low temperatures.

Thanks!

Hello, it is in general possible to model this setup of serial connected BHEs with the BHE 3D heat transport process of OGS. Currently, there is no directly implemented <flow_and_temperature_control> to achieve this, nevertheless with the flexible python boundary condition you should be able to achieve this. This python boundary condition is used in this benchmark in combination with Tespy to model a simple energy system, I guess it can serve as a good starting point: A 3-BHE Array Coupled With Pipe Network

Good luck and let us now, if you encounter any difficulties!

Best regards, Max