Help with Error *** Jacobian: DetJac == 0 0

Hello,

I have been running some geothermal doublet simulations using OGS. My models so far has been a reservoir with just one fault and I have moved to a phase of my project where I am considering some more complicated fracture networks.

I used all of the same medium and solid properties as well as BC and IC etc… I basically replaced the mesh with a new mesh that was generated using HyperMesh. I used triangles for the surfaces and tetrahedrons for volume elements so in theory the mesh should be fine, however, when I run the simulation I get the following Error…

Time step: 1| Time: 86400| Time step size: 86400

···
  ================================================

->Process 0: LIQUID_FLOW

PCS non-linear iteration: 0/100

Assembling equation system...

*** Jacobian: DetJac == 0 0

zsh: abort (core dumped) ogs res6

Can anyone give me a bit more insight into what exactly can be the root of this error?

Regards,

Ariel

The error means there is an element with zero volume or zero area. you should check the mesh.

Regards,
Norihiro Watanabe

···

--
Sorry for a short message and any spelling errors. Sent from my mobile phone.

On 16 Jun 2016 17:10 +0200, Ariel Thomas<ariel.t.thomas@gmail.com>, wrote:

Hello,

I have been running some geothermal doublet simulations using OGS. My models so far has been a reservoir with just one fault and I have moved to a phase of my project where I am considering some more complicated fracture networks.

I used all of the same medium and solid properties as well as BC and IC etc.. I basically replaced the mesh with a new mesh that was generated using HyperMesh. I used triangles for the surfaces and tetrahedrons for volume elements so in theory the mesh should be fine, however, when I run the simulation I get the following Error..

Time step: 1|Time: 86400|Time step size: 86400

zsh: abort (core dumped)ogs res6

Can anyone give me a bit more insight into what exactly can be the root of this error?

Regards,
Ariel

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email toogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com(mailto:ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com).
For more options, visithttps://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You can try deleting the triangular mesh elements (those are the zero volume ones).

Best

Aaron

···

Am 6/16/2016 um 5:46 PM schrieb :

norihiro.watanabe@ufz.de

The error means there is an element with zero volume or zero area. you should check the mesh.
    Regards,

Norihiro Watanabe

--

Sorry for a short message and any spelling errors. Sent from my mobile phone.
    On 16 Jun 2016 17:10 +0200, Ariel Thomas , wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

ariel.t.thomas@gmail.com

Hello,

I used all of the same medium and solid properties as well as BC and IC etc.. I basically replaced the mesh with a new mesh that was generated using HyperMesh. I used triangles for the surfaces and tetrahedrons for volume elements so in theory the mesh should be fine, however, when I run the simulation I get the following Error..
            Time step: 1|  Time: 86400|  Time step size: 86400

zsh: abort (core dumped)  ogs res6

Regards,

Ariel

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

Ahh ok! I will reduced the complexity of the fracture network a bit and take care of the mesh quality.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

-Ariel

···

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 5:10:31 PM UTC+2, Ariel Thomas wrote:

Hello,

I used all of the same medium and solid properties as well as BC and IC etc… I basically replaced the mesh with a new mesh that was generated using HyperMesh. I used triangles for the surfaces and tetrahedrons for volume elements so in theory the mesh should be fine, however, when I run the simulation I get the following Error…

Time step: 1| Time: 86400| Time step size: 86400

zsh: abort (core dumped) ogs res6

Regards,

Ariel