Implementing Temperature dependent fluid density

Hello,

I am currently using OGS 5.7 on Linux.

I am attempting to run a coupled Groundwater Flow and Heat Transport problemin 3D. I would like to simulate a Geothermal Doublet System.

I would like to implement a Temperature dependent density function for the water in the reservoir.

According to the OGS documentation, this can be done using Density model #4 as shown below

  1. rho(T) = rho_0*(1+beta_T*(T-T_0))

The only example I can find of this implementation is in Elder_HT example (attached), however, I am not 100% sure about the order of the parameters in the input file.
Intuitively, from left to right it should be : Model # – rho_0 – beta_T – T_0

However from the example it does not make sense to have a starting temperature of -0.2, but this is also an invalid value for the volumetric temperature coefficient of water.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ariel

Elder_HT.mfp (250 Bytes)

Hi,

  $DENSITY
   4 1000 0 -0.2

means rho_0 = 1e3, T_0 = 0, beta_T = -0.2. The value of beta_T is not coming from real fluid property and is artificial one to demonstrate convection.

Cheers,
Nori

···

On 06/05/16 18:37, Ariel Thomas wrote:

Hello,

I am currently using OGS 5.7 on Linux.

I am attempting to run a coupled Groundwater Flow and Heat Transport
problemin 3D. I would like to simulate a Geothermal Doublet System.

I would like to implement a Temperature dependent density function for
the water in the reservoir.

According to the OGS documentation, this can be done using Density model
#4 as shown below

4. rho(T) = rho_0*(1+beta_T*(T-T_0))

The only example I can find of this implementation is in Elder_HT
example (attached), however, I am not 100% sure about the order of the
parameters in the input file.
Intuitively, from left to right it should be : Model # -- rho_0 --
beta_T -- T_0

However from the example it does not make sense to have a starting
temperature of -0.2, but this is also an invalid value for the
volumetric temperature coefficient of water.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ariel

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ogs-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

--
Norihiro Watanabe, Dr.-Ing.
Department of Environmental Informatics

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research GmbH - UFZ
Permoserstraße 15 / 04318 Leipzig / Germany
Telefon +49 341 235 1806
[email protected] / www.ufz.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Leipzig
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Leipzig, Handelsregister Nr. B 4703
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Wilfried Kraus
Wissenschaftlicher Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Georg Teutsch
Administrativer Geschäftsführer: N.N.

Thanks very much for the feedback Nori, it makes sense now.

Cheers,
Ariel

···

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 8:03:45 PM UTC+2, Norihiro Watanabe wrote:

Hi,

$DENSITY
4 1000 0 -0.2

means rho_0 = 1e3, T_0 = 0, beta_T = -0.2. The value of beta_T is not coming from real fluid property and is artificial one to demonstrate convection.

Cheers,
Nori

On 06/05/16 18:37, Ariel Thomas wrote:

Hello,

I am currently using OGS 5.7 on Linux.

I am attempting to run a coupled Groundwater Flow and Heat Transport
problemin 3D. I would like to simulate a Geothermal Doublet System.

I would like to implement a Temperature dependent density function for
the water in the reservoir.

According to the OGS documentation, this can be done using Density model
#4 as shown below

  1. rho(T) = rho_0*(1+beta_T*(T-T_0))

The only example I can find of this implementation is in Elder_HT
example (attached), however, I am not 100% sure about the order of the
parameters in the input file.
Intuitively, from left to right it should be : Model # – rho_0 –
beta_T – T_0

However from the example it does not make sense to have a starting
temperature of -0.2, but this is also an invalid value for the
volumetric temperature coefficient of water.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ariel

–
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “ogs-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected]

mailto:[email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

–
Norihiro Watanabe, Dr.-Ing.
Department of Environmental Informatics

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research GmbH - UFZ
Permoserstraße 15 / 04318 Leipzig / Germany
Telefon +49 341 235 1806
[email protected] / www.ufz.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Leipzig
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Leipzig, Handelsregister Nr. B 4703
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Wilfried Kraus
Wissenschaftlicher Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Georg Teutsch
Administrativer Geschäftsführer: N.N.