Import heterogeneous field distribution from the results of parellel computing

Hi all,

I want to import the distributions of some parameters (pressure, stress…) using MeshNode or MeshElement tag. But my numerical results are computed by parellel computing, combined with many .vtu files. How can I import this into an intact .vtu file? Could anybody recommend any external tool to realize it? Thank you!

Best,
Yuhao

Dear Yuhao,

the parallel version of OGS works the same as the serial version except that all input meshes must be partitioned. So if you already set the boundary conditions using the MeshNode or MeshElement tag you only have to partition these meshes. You can specify additional boundary meshes as arguments to the partmesh tool. The partmesh tool is part of OGS.

First step: Convert input VTU mesh into METIS input mesh format

`partmesh -i computational_domain.vtu --ogs2metis`
=> results in a file computational_domain.mesh

Second step: partition the mesh and the corresponding boundaries.

`partmesh -n number_of_partitions -m -i computational_domain.vtu -- boundary_meshes*.vtu`
This will result in a bunch of .bin files that are read instead the usual vtu-files while OGS is executed in parallel.

Dear thomas,

Setting the heterogeneous boundary or initial conditions using the MeshNode or MeshElement tag is just what I am going to realize. The commands in .prj file is like:

<parameter>
      <name>c_left</name>
      <mesh>vdbc_input_left</mesh>
      <type>MeshNode</type>
      <field_name>c_ini</field_name>
</parameter>

But the <field_name> to be read is contained in many partitioned meshes as I calculated it by parellel computing. Therefore in the <mesh> tag I have many .vtu files to write but It seems that I can only input one intact mesh.

I misunderstood your initial problem. Sorry.

Do all your vtu-files cover the same domain? Then, maybe, paraview filter Append Attributes or Append Datasets could be a solution.

Yes, all the .vtu files are from the same case and form a complete domain mesh. I will follow you suggestions and see what happens. Thank you very much!

Best,
Yuhao

I am glad that the filter Append Datasets works well. There is only one complete vtu-file in Paraview with combined distributions from partitioned meshes. The boundaries of each partitioned mesh can be seen in the complete mesh.