Modelling method of HeatTransportBHE

hello everyone,
Does anyone know what is the modelling method used for HeatTransportBHE in ogs6?
And are the results different from other methods?
Thanks in advance

Dear Yasinahmadpoor,

First of all thank you for your interest in the HeatTransportBHE process. As one of authors of this feature, I can provide you some detailed information.

1. About ogs5/ogs6
    You asked about input file format in another thread. The ogs5 format described in my Springer book has been all shifted to ogs6 version. We recommend to only work with the ogs6 version, because all the maintenance/documentation work are based on the ogs6 version. The HeatTransportBHE process in ogs6 is tested by the following benchmarks:
    3D 2U BHE
    A 3-BHE Array Coupled With Pipe Network
    Benchmark of 3D Beier sandbox
    BHE with groundwater advection
    Wellbore Heat Transport - EUBHE
    They all use the HEAT_TRANSPORT_BHE process, with different features tested.

Check the very top of the page, with a link “Project file on Gitlab”. For example, under the folder

You get all input files for the “pipe_flow_ebhe” benchmarks.

Check this link as well for how to download the benchmarks.

1. Regarding the input/output file format in ogs6
    Please have a look at the documentation page. It explains the structure of the input file
    Heat_Transport_BHE
    As for output, it’s a VTU file containing different temperatures. Assuming a 1U type of BHE, it has 4 values because we need 4 primary variables to describe the temperature values at a certain depth of a BHE. T_in, T_out, T_g1, T_g2 in the 1U BHE type. Plus the T_soil, that is what will be printed out in the VTU file. You will find that the content in my Springer tutorial book is still largely valid. However, the input/output file format has been changed to ogs6.

2. Regarding the numerical modelling method used in HeatTransportBHE, I recommend to start from Diersch 2011a and Diersch 2022b. After you understand what’s going on there, you will have a clear picture on the dual-continuum FEM structure we implemented in OGS. If you have specific questions, I can answer them.
    Diersch (2011a) doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2010.08.003
    Diersch (2011b) doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2010.08.002

Have fun with ogs6.

Best,
Haibing

Dear HBShao,

Thanks for your full explanation.

‌Best regard,

Can you send a link to your Springer Book please. Thank you.