Seeking Guidance on Incorporating Heterogeneous K Values in OGS for Field of Study

Dear Esteemed Forum Members,

I’m an enthusiastic novice in the world of OpenGeoSys (OGS), and I’ve been captivated by the software’s potential. I’ve successfully simulated some straightforward scenarios and now aspire to harness OGS for my study area. However, I’ve hit a roadblock in my quest to incorporate heterogeneous K values into my simulations.

Could someone kindly advise me on the suitable file format for entering these K values? Additionally, if there are any tutorials or resources specifically addressing this type of challenge, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you immensely in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

Hi @Alex,
not sure what you mean by heterogeneous K values. I suspect you mean material properties like permeability or thermal conductivity.
Dependent on your type of heterogeneity, you could use a Function parameter or set a MeshElement parameter that is defined in your bulk mesh. This was discussed here: Question: The setting of heterogeneous parameters in OGS - #2 by thomas.fischer. To add cell or point field to your mesh file, you could use paraview, or python tools like meshio or VTUinterface. This was also discussed on the discourse earlier.

Dear Joerg Buchwald,

Thank you very much for your reply. The link you provided to that thread has been helpful in addressing all of my inquiries.

Best regards,

Alex

1 Like