$STORAGE in OGS5

Dear all,

I have issues with the keyword $STORAGE
Googling it I can find that it enables to specify the storativity of a material i.e. the volumetric specific storage which is the volume of water that the aquifer releases from storage.

However, on an obscure site mirroring random internet pages, I can find a note:

“Attention: For liquid flow processes (LIQUID_FLOW), the model value is the specific storage divided by fluid density and gravity acceleration constant in Pa-1.” (I presume this page comes from ufz, but I am not sure).

Which makes sense, since the OpenGeoSys storativity has been defined as the volumetric specific storage. So I am asking to have confirmation: should I take the usual specific storage value available in table (i.e. a combination of fluid and solid component compressibility, for a poroelastic media) and divide it by fluid density and gravity?

I tried to scrub the source code but I could not really find a clarification.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Aurelio Sintana

Hi Aurelio,

Your interpretation of the storage variable for LIQUID_FLOW is correct: divide your specific storage coefficient by density and gravity.

Keyword:

$STORAGE

Description:

The keyword $STORAGE enables to specify the storativity of a material i.e. the volumetric specific storage which is the volume of water that the aquifer releases from storage.

Parameters:

In Example 01, the first parameter defines a storage model type followed by the specific storage. The values indicate that the storage stays constant (first value = 1) with 0.00001 m-1 (second value).

Example 01: Theis_2D.mmp

#MEDIUM_PROPERTIES
$GEOMETRY_DIMENSION
$GEOMETRY_AREA
1.000000e+000
$STORAGE
1 0.00001
$PERMEABILITY_TENSOR
ISOTROPIC 5.7870370e-4
#STOP
Regards,
Mohammad

···

On Monday, 5 February 2018 18:40:42 UTC-5, pauli stan wrote:

Dear all,

I have issues with the keyword $STORAGE
Googling it I can find that it enables to specify the storativity of a material i.e. the volumetric specific storage which is the volume of water that the aquifer releases from storage.

However, on an obscure site mirroring random internet pages, I can find a note:

“Attention: For liquid flow processes (LIQUID_FLOW), the model value is the specific storage divided by fluid density and gravity acceleration constant in Pa-1.” (I presume this page comes from ufz, but I am not sure).

Which makes sense, since the OpenGeoSys storativity has been defined as the volumetric specific storage. So I am asking to have confirmation: should I take the usual specific storage value available in table (i.e. a combination of fluid and solid component compressibility, for a poroelastic media) and divide it by fluid density and gravity?

I tried to scrub the source code but I could not really find a clarification.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Aurelio Sintana

if you are interested in source code, please check FEM/rf_mmp_new.cpp (86, 261,730 Lines?)

Regards,

Mohammad