Definition of IC on volumetric entities?

Dear OGS users,

I have a 3d model ( a cube) and would like to assign different IC on the upper and downer half of the DOMAIN.

I tried to define a volume for each half of the DOMAIN using #VOLUME in the *.gli file. That does not work, OGS does not read the defined VOLUMES.

I read about #SUB_DOMAIN to be used in *.ic in an older OGS manual. Is that keyword still active? I did not really got how it works from the manual. Does anybody has experience?

Best,

Johannes

1 Like

You can do that by:
1. generate a mesh with element groups with different material IDs, which can represent the different zones with different ICs.
2. assign the initial condition to subdomains by the material IDs of element groups as
#INITIAL_CONDITION
  $PCS_TYPE
   [PCS type]
  $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
   [Primary variable name]
  $DIS_TYPE
   FUNCTION
  $GEO_TYPE
   SUBDOMAIN
   [number of subdomains]
   [Mat ID] a+b*x+c*y+d*z
   [Mat ID] a+b*x+c*y+d*z
where in the linear expression, a, b, c, d are input constants, + and * are operators, x,y,z are coordinate symbols. In the linear expression, any term except a can be omitted.

Examples:

1 =====================================
#INITIAL_CONDITION
  $PCS_TYPE
   MULTI_PHASE_FLOW
  $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
   PRESSURE2
  $DIS_TYPE
   FUNCTION
  $GEO_TYPE
   SUBDOMAIN
   0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

2=====================================
#INITIAL_CONDITION
  $PCS_TYPE
   LIQUID_FLOW
  $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
   PRESSURE1
  $DIS_TYPE
   FUNCTION
  $GEO_TYPE
   SUBDOMAIN
   0 1.693567e5+11559.45*y+-11559.45*z
   1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION
  $PCS_TYPE
   LIQUID_FLOW
  $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
   PRESSURE1
  $DIS_TYPE
   FUNCTION
  $GEO_TYPE
   SUBDOMAIN
   0 1.693567e5
   1 1.693567e5

···

On 09/13/2017 02:12 PM, 'Johannes Boog' via ogs-users wrote:

Dear OGS users,

I have a 3d model ( a cube) and would like to assign different IC on the upper and downer half of the DOMAIN.

I tried to define a volume for each half of the DOMAIN using #VOLUME in the *.gli file. That does not work, OGS does not read the defined VOLUMES.
I read about #SUB_DOMAIN to be used in *.ic in an older OGS manual. Is that keyword still active? I did not really got how it works from the manual. Does anybody has experience?

Best,

Johannes
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

Dear Wenqing,

thanks for your reply. Is there any other way then using different material groups?

I wanted to avoid that because I will define material groups according to the different materials (to be used in more complex model domains).

Best,

Johannes

You can do that by:

1. generate a mesh with element groups with different material IDs, which can represent the different zones with different ICs.

2. assign the initial condition to  subdomains by the material IDs of element groups as

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

[PCS type]

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

[Primary variable name]

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

[number of subdomains]

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

where in the linear expression, a, b, c, d are input constants, + and * are operators, x,y,z are coordinate symbols. In the linear expression, any term except a can be omitted.

Examples:

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

MULTI_PHASE_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE2

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5

1 1.693567e5
···

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, 18:26:31 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang wenqing.wang@ufz.de Folgendes geschrieben:

Dear OGS users,

Best,

Johannes

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ogs-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Maybe you can try
$DIS_TYPE
DIRECT file_foo
In the file_foo, you can put node wise values as
[node ID] [Node value]
[node ID] [Node value]
#STOP

Or you can partition the mesh groups taking account of both material and initial condition attributions. For example, a mesh is partitioned into four material groups:
group 0 and group 2 have the same material properties,
group 1 and group 3 have the same material properties,
groups 0, 1, 2, 3 have different initial conditions.

···

On 09/13/2017 08:23 PM, 'Johannes Boog' via ogs-users wrote:

Dear Wenqing,

thanks for your reply. Is there any other way then using different material groups?

I wanted to avoid that because I will define material groups according to the different materials (to be used in more complex model domains).

Best,

Johannes

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, 18:26:31 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang > <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> Folgendes geschrieben:

You can do that by:
2. assign the initial condition to subdomains by the material IDs of element groups as
#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  [PCS type]
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  [Primary variable name]
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  [number of subdomains]
  [Mat ID] a+b*x+c*y+d*z
  [Mat ID] a+b*x+c*y+d*z

Examples:

#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  MULTI_PHASE_FLOW
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  PRESSURE2
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  LIQUID_FLOW
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  PRESSURE1
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  LIQUID_FLOW
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  PRESSURE1
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  0 1.693567e5
  1 1.693567e5

Dear OGS users,

Best,

Johannes
--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.

--
--

I went the approach to partition according to materials and IC’s.

SUB_DOMAIN works fine with defining a constant values on each SUB_DOMAIN.

like this:

$GEO_TYPE
SUB_DOMAIN
0 2000
1 0

However, defining linear function such as

$GEO_TYPE
SUB_DOMAIN
0 2000.0+1000.0x+0.0y+0.0*z
1 0

does not work. The IC’s are still 2000 on SUB_DOMAIN 0 and 0 on SUB_DOMAIN 1. I rearranged the positions of x, y, z but it did not improve. I use OGS 5.6.

Best,

Johannes

Maybe you can try

$DIS_TYPE

DIRECT file_foo

[node ID] [Node value]

[node ID] [Node value]

#STOP

Or you can partition the mesh groups taking account of both material and initial condition attributions. For example, a mesh is partitioned into four material groups:

···

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 09:57:11 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang wenqing.wang@ufz.de Folgendes geschrieben:

Dear Wenqing,

Best,

Johannes

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, 18:26:31 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> Folgendes geschrieben:
                You can do that by:

2. assign the initial condition to  subdomains by the material IDs of element groups as

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

[PCS type]

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

[Primary variable name]

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

[number of subdomains]

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

Examples:

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

MULTI_PHASE_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE2

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5

1 1.693567e5

Dear OGS users,

Best,

Johannes

–

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

–

–

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ogs-users” group.

Try with

$DIS_TYPE
   FUNCTION

···

On 09/14/2017 12:30 PM, 'Johannes Boog' via ogs-users wrote:

I went the approach to partition according to materials and IC's.

like this:

$GEO_TYPE
SUB_DOMAIN
    0 2000
    1 0

$GEO_TYPE
SUB_DOMAIN
    0 2000.0+1000.0*x+0.0*y+0.0*z
    1 0

does not work. The IC's are still 2000 on SUB_DOMAIN 0 and 0 on SUB_DOMAIN 1. I rearranged the positions of x, y, z but it did not improve. I use OGS 5.6.

Best,

Johannes

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 09:57:11 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang > <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> Folgendes geschrieben:

Maybe you can try
$DIS_TYPE
DIRECT file_foo
[node ID] [Node value]
[node ID] [Node value]
#STOP

Dear Wenqing,

Best,

Johannes

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, 18:26:31 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang >> <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> <mailto:wenqing.wang@ufz.de> Folgendes >> geschrieben:

You can do that by:
#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  [PCS type]
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  [Primary variable name]
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  [number of subdomains]
  [Mat ID] a+b*x+c*y+d*z
  [Mat ID] a+b*x+c*y+d*z

Examples:

#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  MULTI_PHASE_FLOW
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  PRESSURE2
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  LIQUID_FLOW
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  PRESSURE1
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION
$PCS_TYPE
  LIQUID_FLOW
$PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  PRESSURE1
$DIS_TYPE
  FUNCTION
$GEO_TYPE
  SUBDOMAIN
  0 1.693567e5
  1 1.693567e5

Dear OGS users,

Best,

Johannes
--

--
--

--
--

$DIS_TYPE
FUNCTION

crashed OGS.

Anyhow I have a workaround. I have two sub domains only: one with a constant IC, the other with a gradient. If I define my Subdomains as follows:

$SUB_DOMAIN

1 0

0 0

The value zero will be added as IC to both Subdomains, however, if I add

$DIS_TYPE

GRADIENT 1 8000 10000

I can define a linear gradient for subdomain 0.

Of course, that only works if a will assing a linear IC on one subdomain.

Best,

Johannes

Try with

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION
···

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 13:25:59 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang wenqing.wang@ufz.de Folgendes geschrieben:

I went the approach to partition according to materials and IC's.

like this:

$GEO_TYPE

SUB_DOMAIN                            

0 2000

1 0

$GEO_TYPE

SUB_DOMAIN                            

1 0
          does not work. The IC's are still 2000 on SUB_DOMAIN 0 and 0 on SUB_DOMAIN 1. I rearranged the positions of x, y, z but it did not improve. I use OGS 5.6.

Best,

Johannes

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 09:57:11 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> Folgendes geschrieben:
                Maybe you can try

$DIS_TYPE

DIRECT file_foo

[node ID] [Node value]

[node ID] [Node value]

#STOP

Dear Wenqing,

Best,

Johannes

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, 18:26:31 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> > >                               Folgendes geschrieben:
                                You can do that by:

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

[PCS type]

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

[Primary variable name]

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

[number of subdomains]

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

Examples:

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

MULTI_PHASE_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE2

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5

1 1.693567e5

Dear OGS users,

Best,

Johannes

–

–

–

–

–

–

Now it works.

I wrongly wrote

$GEO_TYPE

SUB_DOMAIN

0 2000±10000*z

1 0

$DIS_TYPE
FUNCTION

instead of

$DIS_TYPE
FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUB_DOMAIN

0 2000±10000*z

1 0

Thanks a lot Wenqing!

Best,

Johannes

$DIS_TYPE
FUNCTION

crashed OGS.

Anyhow I have a workaround. I have two sub domains only: one with a constant IC, the other with a gradient. If I define my Subdomains as follows:

$SUB_DOMAIN

1 0

0 0

The value zero will be added as IC to both Subdomains, however, if I add

$DIS_TYPE

GRADIENT 1 8000 10000

I can define a linear gradient for subdomain 0.

Of course, that only works if a will assing a linear IC on one subdomain.

Best,

Johannes

Try with

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION
···

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 15:27:26 MESZ hat Johannes Boog johannesboog@yahoo.de Folgendes geschrieben:
Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 13:25:59 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang wenqing.wang@ufz.de Folgendes geschrieben:

I went the approach to partition according to materials and

IC’s.

SUB_DOMAIN works fine with defining a constant values on

each SUB_DOMAIN.

like this:

$GEO_TYPE

SUB_DOMAIN                            

0 2000

1 0

$GEO_TYPE

SUB_DOMAIN                            

1 0
          does not work. The IC's are still 2000 on SUB_DOMAIN 0

and 0 on SUB_DOMAIN 1. I rearranged the positions of x, y,
z but it did not improve. I use OGS 5.6.

Best,

Johannes

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 09:57:11 MESZ hat > Wenqing Wang <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> Folgendes > geschrieben:
                Maybe you

can try

$DIS_TYPE

DIRECT file_foo

[node ID] [Node value]

[node ID] [Node value]

#STOP

Or you can partition the mesh groups taking account

of both material and initial condition attributions.
For example, a mesh is partitioned into four
material groups:

group 0 and group 2 have the same material

properties,

group 1 and group 3 have the same material

properties,

On 09/13/2017 08:23 PM, 'Johannes Boog' via > ogs-users wrote:

Dear Wenqing,

thanks for your reply. Is there any other

way then using different material groups?

I wanted to avoid that because I will

define material groups according to the
different materials (to be used in more
complex model domains).

Best,

Johannes

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, > > 18:26:31 MESZ hat Wenqing Wang <wenqing.wang@ufz.de> > >                               Folgendes geschrieben:
                                You

can do that by:

1. generate a mesh with element

groups with different material IDs,
which can represent the different
zones with different ICs.

2. assign the initial condition to 

subdomains by the material IDs of
element groups as

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

[PCS type]

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

[Primary variable name]

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

[number of subdomains]

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

[Mat ID]  a+b*x+c*y+d*z

where in the linear expression, a,

b, c, d are input constants, + and *
are operators, x,y,z are coordinate
symbols. In the linear expression,
any term except a can be omitted.

Examples:

=====================================

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

MULTI_PHASE_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE2

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5+-11559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

1.693567e5+11559.45y±11559.45z

1 1.693567e5+1559.45*z

#INITIAL_CONDITION

$PCS_TYPE

LIQUID_FLOW

$PRIMARY_VARIABLE

PRESSURE1

$DIS_TYPE

FUNCTION

$GEO_TYPE

SUBDOMAIN 

0 1.693567e5

1 1.693567e5

On 09/13/2017 02:12 PM, 'Johannes > > Boog' via ogs-users wrote:

Dear OGS users,

I have a 3d model ( a cube)

and would like to assign
different IC on the upper and
downer half of the DOMAIN.

I tried to define a volume

for each half of the DOMAIN
using #VOLUME in the *.gli
file. That does not work, OGS
does not read the defined
VOLUMES.

I read about #SUB_DOMAIN to

be used in *.ic in an older
OGS manual. Is that keyword
still active? I did not really
got how it works from the
manual. Does anybody has
experience?

Best,

Johannes

–

You received this message because

you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “ogs-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and

stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

–

You received this message because you

are subscribed to the Google Groups
“ogs-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and

stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

–

You received this message because you are

subscribed to the Google Groups “ogs-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving

emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed

to the Google Groups “ogs-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving

emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

Groups “ogs-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,

send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

–

Dear OGS users,

Best,

Johannes

···

Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017 14:16:43 UTC+2 schrieb Johannes Boog: