TM solution

Hi All,
I was running one benchmark solution on Thermoelastic Deformation in a Hollow Cylinder. The reference is available as follows

Kolditz et al (2010) "Thermo-Hydro-MechanicalChemical Processes in Fractured Porous Media: Benchmarks and Examples ", Chapter 14, Page 307 Springer.

Benchmark: https://svn.ufz.de/ogs/browser/tags/5.6.0?rev=14767#benchmarks/TM

File name: TM_axi.*

Benchmark Result Reference: https://svn.ufz.de/ogs/browser/tags/5.6.0/benchmarks_ref/TM/TM_axi_ply_PLY_B_t1.tec?rev=14767

I compared analytical solution as presented in Page 308 (Equation 14.18-14.20) with the OGS result as available in the Benchmark Reference. The comparisons results are not same as it is in Figure 14.12 (Page 310). In the Benchmark Result Reference, it is also observed that the temperature is not changing along the radial direction, while it is evident in Figure 14.12.

Any clue, how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

The benchmark of TM_axi is a steady state problem. However the specific heat capacity is set to non-zero in the input files. I have corrected the input files, and updated the repositories of input data and reference results. Please checkout the current master branch of GitHub - ufz/ogs5-benchmarks for the corrected input files of TM_axi.

Best regards,

Wenqing

···

On 11/06/2017 10:09 PM, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Hi All,
I was running one benchmark solution on Thermoelastic Deformation in a Hollow Cylinder. The reference is available as follows

Kolditz et al (2010) "Thermo-Hydro-MechanicalChemical Processes in Fractured Porous Media: Benchmarks and Examples ", Chapter 14, Page 307 Springer.

Benchmark: https://svn.ufz.de/ogs/browser/tags/5.6.0?rev=14767#benchmarks/TM
File name: TM_axi.*
Benchmark Result Reference: https://svn.ufz.de/ogs/browser/tags/5.6.0/benchmarks_ref/TM/TM_axi_ply_PLY_B_t1.tec?rev=14767

I compared analytical solution as presented in Page 308 (Equation 14.18-14.20) with the OGS result as available in the Benchmark Reference. The comparisons results are not same as it is in Figure 14.12 (Page 310). In the Benchmark Result Reference, it is also observed that the temperature is not changing along the radial direction, while it is evident in Figure 14.12.

Any clue, how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Thank you very much. It solved the problem.

I have one more quick question. In Kolditz et al. (2010) draft version (OpenGeoSys Developer-Benchmark- Book OGS-DBB 5.04 (Chapter 15, Page 323)), for the analytical solution there is a reference Wang II, (2007) . However, on that draft or in Kolditz et al (2010), Wang II, (2007) reference is missing. I am wondering is there any way to inform the reference source? I also checked Timoshenko and Goodier (1970), Yu (2000) and couple of more text books.

Timoshenko, S.P., Goodier, J.N., 1970. Theory of Elasticity, third ed. McGraw Hill Education.

Yu, H.-S. (2000). Cavity Expansion Methods in Geomechanics, Springer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohammad

Could you please send me the page in the draft version that you mentioned?

···

On 11/07/2017 05:20 PM, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Dear Wenqing Wang,

I have one more quick question. In Kolditz et al. (2010) draft version (OpenGeoSys Developer-Benchmark- Book OGS-DBB 5.04 (Chapter 15, Page 323)), for the analytical solution there is a reference Wang II, (2007) . However, on that draft or in Kolditz et al (2010), Wang II, (2007) reference is missing. I am wondering is there any way to inform the reference source? I also checked Timoshenko and Goodier (1970), Yu (2000) and couple of more text books.

Timoshenko, S.P., Goodier, J.N., 1970. Theory of Elasticity, third ed. McGraw Hill Education.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:ogs-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.

Dear Wenqing Wang,
Please see the attachment. Pages started from 321-325 with cover page. In page 323 you will find the Reference.

Regards,

Mohammad

OGS-TM.pdf (196 KB)

···

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 12:01:12 UTC-5, Wenqing Wang wrote:

Could you please send me the page in the draft version that you mentioned? 

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Kolditz et al (2010) "Thermo-Hydro- MechanicalChemical Processes in Fractured Porous Media: Benchmarks and Examples ", Chapter 14, Page 307 Springer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohammad

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

Dear Mohammad,

Got it. The reference is one of my programming notes about the solution that I obtained for the example, and it was removed because of it is not an official publication . You can found it in the attachment.

Best,

Wenqing

axi_TM.pdf (45.2 KB)

···

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad
--

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Thank you again for your kind help.

Regards,

Mohammad

···

Dear Wenqing Wang,
Most likely there is a typo mistake, either in Kolditz et al. (2010) or in your notes. Please check Chapter 14, Page 308-309 and compare with your notes. I have also attached a comparison. The summary are as follows

1. Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18 & your note equation 7, one negative sign is missing.

2. Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 & your note equation 8, “r” is missing.

3. With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 and boundary condition, the expression of equation 14.22 is not correct. The first part ln(R2/r) should be ln(R2/R1). In addition, if 14.19 is correct, then there will be R1 in the 2nd and third part. In fourth part, there will be positive sign than negative sign. The bottom 2nd part R1^2 should be replaced with R2^2.

With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18, 14.19 and 14.22, the obtained analytical solution don’t match with OGS results.

Regards,

Mohammad

Hollow Cylinder.pdf (120 KB)

···

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 09:33:32 UTC-5, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,

Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

Thanks for checking. I will check it again.

Best regards,

Wenqing

···

On 11/13/2017 09:09 PM, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Dear Wenqing Wang,
Most likely there is a typo mistake, either in Kolditz et al. (2010) or in your notes. Please check Chapter 14, Page 308-309 and compare with your notes. I have also attached a comparison. The summary are as follows

1) Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18 & your note equation 7, one negative sign is missing.
2) Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 & your note equation 8, "r" is missing.
3) With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 and boundary condition, the expression of equation 14.22 is not correct. The first part ln(R2/r) should be ln(R2/R1). In addition, if 14.19 is correct, then there will be R1 in the 2nd and third part. In fourth part, there will be positive sign than negative sign. The bottom 2nd part R1^2 should be replaced with R2^2.

With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18, 14.19 and 14.22, the obtained analytical solution don't match with OGS results.

Regards,
Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,
    Mohammad

--

Dear Wenqing,
Here is the revised one. I have changed the initial condition file too. Most likely, the domain initial condition is not correct. The Analytical solution match if it is zero. In your note, equations 7 and 8 are right one. But in Kolditz et al. (2010) there are couple of typo mistakes in equations 14.18, 14.19 and 14.21. The boundary conditions in your note and Kolditz et al. (2010) are different. Therefore, the integral constants expressions are different. If possible, in your note before equation 5, please include the equilibrium equation general form. Moreover, in between equation 4 and 5 in your note, there are also typo mistake, the Poisson ratio symbol need to be replaced with the Shear Modulus symbol.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohammad

Hollow Cylinder-modified.pdf (170 KB)

···

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 04:07:25 UTC-5, Wenqing Wang wrote:

Dear Mohammad,

Best regards,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing Wang,

1) Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18 & your note equation 7, one negative sign is missing.
      3) With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 and boundary condition, the expression of equation 14.22 is not correct. The first part ln(R2/r) should be  ln(R2/R1). In addition, if 14.19 is correct, then  there will be R1 in the 2nd and third part. In fourth part, there will be positive sign than negative sign. The bottom 2nd part R1^2 should be replaced with  R2^2.
      With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18, 14.19 and 14.22, the obtained analytical solution don't match with OGS results.

Regards,

Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,

Mohammad

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ogs-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

Dear Mohammad,

Thanks. I have found the problem in the input files (as you mentioned T0=0), and updated the benchmark repository yesterday. I will add a documentation to the repository about an erratum to the equations today.

Best,

Wenqing

···

On 11/16/2017 10:29 PM, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Dear Wenqing,
Here is the revised one. I have changed the initial condition file too. Most likely, the domain initial condition is not correct. The Analytical solution match if it is zero. In your note, equations 7 and 8 are right one. But in Kolditz et al. (2010) there are couple of typo mistakes in equations 14.18, 14.19 and 14.21. The boundary conditions in your note and Kolditz et al. (2010) are different. Therefore, the integral constants expressions are different. If possible, in your note before equation 5, please include the equilibrium equation general form. Moreover, in between equation 4 and 5 in your note, there are also typo mistake, the Poisson ratio symbol need to be replaced with the Shear Modulus symbol.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

Best regards,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing Wang,
    Most likely there is a typo mistake, either in Kolditz et al.
    (2010) or in your notes. Please check Chapter 14, Page 308-309
    and compare with your notes. I have also attached a comparison.
    The summary are as follows

1) Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18 & your note equation 7,
    one negative sign is missing.
    2) Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 & your note equation 8,
    "r" is missing.
    3) With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 and boundary
    condition, the expression of equation 14.22 is not correct. The
    first part ln(R2/r) should be ln(R2/R1). In addition, if 14.19 is
    correct, then there will be R1 in the 2nd and third part. In
    fourth part, there will be positive sign than negative sign. The
    bottom 2nd part R1^2 should be replaced with R2^2.

With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.18, 14.19 and 14.22, the
    obtained analytical solution don't match with OGS results.

Regards,
    Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,
        Mohammad

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
    Google Groups "ogs-users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
    send an email to ogs-users+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout&gt;\.

--

Yesterday, I also prepared a C++ code about the analytical solution of TM_axi in my repository:

···

Dear Wenqing,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

Best regards,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing Wang,

"r" is missing.

Regards,
    Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,
        Mohammad

--

Dear Mohammad,

I have updated the benchmark repository by adding the analytical solution data, tecplot layouts, and a PDF (sort of erratum) as that attached. In my note, there is no Poisson ratio symbol, and I use nu (mu is better) for shear modulus, which is explained in the text. Of course nu normally stands for Poisson ratio. Thanks for point out this.

Thanks for your checking again.

Best,

Wenqing

TM_axi.pdf (57.6 KB)

···

Dear Wenqing,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

Best regards,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing Wang,

"r" is missing.

Regards,
    Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,
        Mohammad

--

Just changed a few words in my notes just for your information:
1. lines between eqn(2) and eqn (3),
2. nu --> mu
3. add the momentum balance equation.

Note: It is for an old benchmarks of ogs5, and TM_axi is based on it.

axi_TM_my_noteR1.pdf (57.8 KB)

···

Dear Wenqing,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

Best regards,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing Wang,

"r" is missing.

Regards,
    Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,
        Mohammad

--

Dear Wenqing,
Thank you very much. One more typo mistake in TM_axi.pdf. In your code ( Line Number 36:(lambda + phi) / (R2 *R2))), but in equation 14.22 (lambda + phi) / (R1 *R1)).

Regards,

Mohammad

···

On Friday, 17 November 2017 06:35:38 UTC-5, Wenqing Wang wrote:

Dear Mohammad,

I have updated the benchmark repository by adding the analytical solution data, tecplot layouts, and a PDF (sort of erratum) as that attached. In my note, there is no Poisson ratio symbol, and I use nu (mu is better) for shear modulus, which is explained in the text. Of  course nu  normally stands for Poisson ratio. Thanks for point out this.

Thanks for your checking again.

Best,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohammad

Dear Mohammad,

Best regards,

Wenqing

Dear Wenqing Wang,

3) With Kolditz et al. (2010) equation 14.19 and boundary condition, the expression of equation 14.22 is not correct. The first part ln(R2/r) should be  ln(R2/R1). In addition, if 14.19 is correct, then  there will be R1 in the 2nd and third part. In fourth part, there will be positive sign than negative sign. The bottom 2nd part R1^2 should be replaced with  R2^2.

Regards,

Mohammad

Dear Wenqing Wang,

Regards,

Mohammad

In addition,
In your code Line Number 37:

const double A0 = 2. * K * (log(R2) - 0.5) - 2. * A1 / (R2 * R2)

But in equation 14.21 ,

A0 = -2. * K * (log(R2) - 0.5) - 2. * A1 / (R2 * R2)

Regards,

Mohammad

···

On Friday, 17 November 2017 09:40:32 UTC-5, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Dear Wenqing,
Thank you very much. One more typo mistake in TM_axi.pdf. In your code ( Line Number 36:(lambda + phi) / (R2 *R2))), but in equation 14.22 (lambda + phi) / (R1 *R1)).

Regards,

Mohammad

What in my source code is correct. The PDF for the benchmark has already been updated again. See

Thanks Mohammad!

···

On 11/17/2017 03:54 PM, Mohammad Islam wrote:

In addition,
In your code Line Number 37:

const double A0 = 2. * K * (log(R2) - 0.5) - 2. * A1 / (R2 * R2)

But in equation 14.21 ,
A0 = -2. * K * (log(R2) - 0.5) - 2. * A1 / (R2 * R2)

Regards,
Mohammad

On Friday, 17 November 2017 09:40:32 UTC-5, Mohammad Islam wrote:

Dear Wenqing,
    Thank you very much. One more typo mistake in TM_axi.pdf. In your
    code ( Line Number 36:(lambda + phi) / (R2 *R2))), but in equation
    14.22 (lambda + phi) / (R1 *R1)).

Regards,
    Mohammad

--

Great ! Thank you Wenqing.

···

On Friday, 17 November 2017 10:10:58 UTC-5, Wenqing Wang wrote:

What in my source code is correct. The PDF for the benchmark has already been updated again. See

[https://github.com/ufz/ogs5-benchmarks/blob/master/TM/TM_axi.pdf](https://github.com/ufz/ogs5-benchmarks/blob/master/TM/TM_axi.pdf)

Thanks Mohammad!